On Oct. 28, the pre-departure orientation forum held its first public meeting with colleagues from across campus. 41 participants representing 16 university units came together to learn about some examples of best practice in pre-departure orientation already occurring at Notre Dame as well as to discuss how a university-wide pre-departure orientation for independent summer programs would facilitate their individual programmatic needs.
Materials and minutes from this meeting are provided below. Additional handouts are being collected in electronic form and will be posted here shortly. I invite any interested campus colleague to review these materials and comment on them below.
Specifically, I would invite additional comments and suggestions on the potential content for the pre-departure orientation that has been proposed in the materials above and excerpted in part below.
Some potential content foci that were suggested include:
- Safety, security, health (insurance, etc)
- Political/cultural pieces
- Risk Management sessions
- Pharmacy, medical sessions
- How to properly explore
- Language learning
- Ethics of photography
- IRB and human subjects
- Disparities of power/wealth
- Self Defense / First Aid program
- Culture shock during study abroad and upon reentry
- Understanding local educational systems
- Technology, web, electronics
- Legal counseling/ Notre Dame policy sessions