Content is King and the King needs to Move

It appears that Marketing Communication’s message concerning “Content is King” is taking hold.  Our copy writer, Mike Roe is completely booked for the July 2011 to July 2012 fiscal year. (In fact I suspect he’s overbooked.)

Lets Talk about Chess for a Moment

I’ve played quite a bit of chess, though strangely never in a tournament.  My 9th grade son has been involved in chess since kindergarten so I’ve been to my fair share of tournaments.

One of the unique moves in chess is castling your king; It serves two purposes.  One as a protecte protective measure to get your king out of the volatile middle columns of the board, and two to bring your powerful rook into play.

Now Back to Our Regular Programming

Creating content takes time and that is one precious resource you are not getting more of. Your website is a window into your world and your message.  Email, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and at some point Google+ are other windows into your world.

The message you are conveying is completely and entirely dependent on the content pieces you produce.

Think of these pieces of content as pieces on a chess board.  As those pieces are developed and pushed into the field of play, you should also be thinking about castling your king…content.

But be wary as your defensive positioning can easily become a liability.  If you fail to advance one of your pawns that is guarding the king, an enemy rook or enemy queen on your first rank can quickly spell checkmate.

So as you are working with your content think about it’s portability, in part because you don’t want to write it again, but also because the technology platform of today may be gone tomorrow (I know my VCR doesn’t work anymore, how about yours?).

Blogging platforms, such as WordPress and Blogger provide easy tools for piping data out of your blog and into another blog. Google+ and Facebook are also behind the idea of data liberation, providing a means of downloading everything you’ve done (Scary right?).

Conductor, Marketing & Communications CMS, also provides a means of getting the information out of your website (the documentation is a little sparse, but it’s one of my goals for the year to flesh it out). And up until now, getting content into Conductor was not nearly as easy.

The Big Reveal

For the past few weeks, along with launching Notre Dame Philosophical Review‘s new site, I’ve been working on a data migration tool to move webpages from outside of Conductor into Conductor.  The tool is intended for developers (those with an understanding of HTML markup) and greatly assists in moving content into Conductor.

This data migration tool is in it’s alpha stage, having only successfully moved content onto my local machine.  But it will evolve over time.

One thought on “Content is King and the King needs to Move

1. Cheers for this educational article. Just one quick question as well, where can I find the design you have for your site? Cheers mate.