It’s all in a URL

I’m not just a web application developer, I’m a support technician and an ambassador. If people are having problems with Conductor, they will typically contact us via email or submit a help request in the Conductor admin. If the problem is a more technical issue it will be routed to me. If the request came via the help request in Conductor, then I automatically get the URL of the page that the request was sent from. Without this information, I am left to guess, or as I habitually do, reply to the submitter with:

What is the URL that you are having trouble with?

The challenge is Conductor supports 170 live sites and 60 sites under development. So without the simple URL, I;m going to spend time looking for the best match, based on the submitter’s signature and job title. It is easier to send the request back, asking for the URL…and starting the conversation as an ambassador.

By sending the simple email “What is the URL?”, I begin the dialogue of addressing the specific problem and listening for any additional problems or issues the requestor might have regarding the system. The source of the specific problem can be just about anything: software error, data error, connectivity problems, misbehaving browser, user error, unexpected system behavior, solar flares, or the dreaded “D: all of the above”. To the best of my ability, I make work to assure the requestor that I am addressing and solving the problem regardless of “whose fault it is.” Then, with the information in hand, I don my Sherlock Holme’s cap and pipe, and work towards a resolution.