Hyderabad to South Bend

By: Nikitha Taniparti, India.

All the way from Hyderabad to South Bend. So many things to say, yet where to start? I think it started when I was at the US consulate in India at the interview required to get my visa. The interviewer reads, “Ms.Nikitha so-and-so….going to…the University of…NOTRE DAME?!” He stands up and exclaims, “I went to USC!” and I timidly respond, “That’s nice?” What was I supposed to say? Right there – I had absolutely no idea what coming to Notre Dame entailed. From my oblivious bliss of our (actually quite good) football team to my ignorance of what my first winter would feel like, almost every day is still somewhat of a culture shock to me. I am an undergraduate freshman, and, although people are quick to assume I’m just another ‘American Indian’, I really do struggle with being so far away from home for such a long time (five more months till summer break!).

Loyal to the ‘Notre Dame introduction’; you greet people with what your name is, where you’re from, what dorm you’re in, and, if you’re lucky, what major you intend to pursue. Right at the second question, people double back and ask me, “Wait, so you’re really from India? The country? But you’re English is so good, you don’t seem that different! Did you actually live there?” Again, I struggle with how to respond. Living so far away doesn’t mean you live on a different planet. It doesn’t mean you don’t speak English, the unofficial global language. It doesn’t mean we don’t wear jeans and shirts and jewelry just like everyone else. It’s hilarious, bemusing and disorienting all at the same time. I enjoy telling people about the unique qualities of India like the amazing food and tastes, the beautiful clothes, the funny English accents and the fact that there are over 1,000 languages; but I enjoy telling them even more about how I can go to a McDonalds, watch a movie premier that is released in India even before it is released here, listen to Lady Gaga and Eminem on my iPod, play laser tag at school and go to parties in clubs that look like they were transported from New York or Chicago. And the most wonderful part about all of this is: Most other international students can probably say the same. The world is certainly not homogenous, but at the same time, it’s not as segregated and different as people tend to assume initially.

So, while watching people eat corn dogs at South Dining Hall still makes me gawk at such a peculiar food creation and marvel at the culture difference, ‘knocking on wood’ with my (American) roommate to prevent possibly jinxing something gives me comfort that a superstitious  belief that is shared by two people from opposite sides of the world. I’ve realized we’re all different based on where we come from – just not as different as everyone thinks. I continue my mission to spread the word about our ‘different similarities’ and I’m thoroughly enjoying every minute of it.

Oh, and, by the way, Go Irish! Beat USC!