Feed on
Posts
Comments

Essay Assignment #2

“Unlike Rubashev’s use of violence, Gletkin’s violence is all about the pursuit of power for its own sake.”

Is this statement correct?  Take a firm and unequivocal stand on the assertion!

Note:  This assignment provides you with the opportunity to step into Koestler’s depiction of his two characters.  Feel free to assume that Koestler’s Rubashev and Gletkin are real people.

Of course, there is no single, correct answer to this question. There are only better or worse arguments.

Remember. You are writing one paper, not two. Make sure you are answering this question and not some other question that you wish I had asked. Keep arguments and counterarguments in mind the entire time you are writing. Use evidence from your readings.  Think debate!

Be concise and to the point. Imagine Orwell is looking over your shoulder.  What will he think about your flowery language and clever turns of phrase?

Requirements. Your essay should be no more than three (3) typed, double-spaced pages (12 point font and regular margins) of incisive reasoning. It should also have a carefully-chosen title.

I strongly recommend that you begin this assignment immediately. Write a first draft, set it aside, and then attack it with gusto at a later time.  Your last paper was the best paper you had ever written in your life.  Predictably, I expect this paper to be even better.

This paper is due next Thursday, April 17, by 9:00 a.m. Please email your response to me at amcadams@nd.edu. You are responsible for getting your paper to me on time.

Good luck!